Application Timeline and Decision Status
Research-based Ph.D. and M.S. degrees (an initial review will occur within two weeks)
- Fall admission: February 7
- Spring admission: September 1
Coursework-only M.Eng. degrees (a decision will be made within two weeks)
- Fall admission: July 15
- Spring admission: December 1
- Prepare and submit application and all materials before deadline
- After deadline, the ME Admissions Committee will review all applications
- The Committee will determine the top research degree applications to make teaching assistantships offers
- All M.S. and Ph.D. applications are provided to faculty for admission and research assistantship offers
- When a faculty member wants to make an admission or research assistantship offer to an applicant, then will contact the ME Graduate Programs Office directly
- The Graduate Programs Office will start to process the application. The applicant will be contacted when an offer is ready.
Once the deadline has passed, our graduate programs staff will make an effort to let you know if your application is complete or missing any materials. If you wish, you may inquire the status of your application within the Admissions Application Portal.
Due to the high volume of applications received in the Office of Admissions and our Graduate Programs Office, you may not receive acknowledgement that we have received your applications or supporting materials.
However, if we do not receive the necessary academic records (and graduate examination scores, if required) within a reasonable time after your application is received, we will send you an e-mail notifying you that your application is incomplete and prompting action. If you receive this e-mail, you must complete this action to be considered for admission into our program.
The Mechanical Engineering department has a Graduate Committee made up of faculty members that make admissions decisions. The committee only reviews completed applications. Once your application package is complete, the contents are cataloged and forwarded to our Graduate Education Committee. All applications are held for review until after the application deadline—there are no early decisions. The application packages of applicants who are deemed qualified for admission by the committee will be forwarded to the faculty for admission and assistantship consideration.
Most admission decisions are made before the end of prior semester (December for spring admission and May for fall admission). However, students may still be offered admission later.
Individual faculty cannot comment on an applicant’s chances for admission, so we ask that you do not contact faculty directly regarding your admission status.
If you are not admitted, your completed application may be reconsidered for the following semester after your original application semester (for example, if you applied in fall, you can be reconsidered in spring). Your application is valid only for one year.