In mechanical engineering, you can earn your
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
- Master of Science (MS)—thesis
- Master of Engineering (MEng)
We also have several interdepartmental degree options:
- MS and PhD in the interdepartmental programs of human-computer interaction and biorenewable resources and technology
- MEng in systems engineering
For applicants interested in applying for the IGERT program in Wind Energy Science, Engineering and Policy (WESEP), click here.
Check out our research programs to see which areas interest you.
Graduate Assistantships and Financial Assistance
Iowa State’s ME graduate students are funded through
All qualified applicants will be considered for these funding options. However, because there are a limited number of fellowships available, early applications will be preferred. The majority of our graduate students are supported through assistantships and/or fellowships.
Research and Teaching Assistantships
- A research assistantship is provided to students from a faculty member (major professor) from his or her research grant or contract and is contingent upon availability of funds and satisfactory progress toward degree completion (in the case of non-U.S. citizens, this appointment is contingent upon legal authorization to work in the United States). Students on research assistantships are expected to perform research and other related activities as directed by their major professor toward the fulfillment of the grant requirements.
- A teaching assistantship is given to the student from the department to assist in teaching responsibilities. This can include grading or running the lab portion of a course. Some advanced students are given the responsibility of teaching a course.
Master’s applicants will be considered for
- 1/2-time research or teaching assistantship with a stipend typically up to $1,600 per month
- 50% tuition scholarship
- Automatic in-state tuition rate for remaining tuition
Doctoral applicants will be considered for
- 1/2 research or teaching assistantship with a stipend up to $2,000 per month
- 100% tuition scholarship
Scholarships and Fellowships
The Department of Mechanical Engineering, College of Engineering, and Iowa State University also provide scholarships and fellowships to outstanding applicants, including outstanding underrepresented minority and women applicants. Many of these fellowships provide financial supplements to a research or teaching assistantship. Check out the College of Engineering graduate fellowship opportunities. Additionally, the ME graduate programs staff may nominate students who qualify for merit-based scholarships.
Typically, funding for fellowships comes from a research grant a faculty member has received. You will be expected to perform research in collaboration with the faculty member and/or other researchers to accomplish the goals of the research grant.