The Bentil Group is equipped with the following facilities:
Oxy-acetylene Shock Tube.
The oxy-acetylene shock tube is used to simulate a blast impact, in support of blast-induced traumatic injury research. Click here to view the video of the oxy-acetylene shock tube in action.
Shock tube fabrication was by Central Iowa Machine Shop (http://centraliowamachine.com/), Iowa State University’s Machine Shop in the Department of Chemistry, and William J. Jackson (Jack).
Discovery hybrid rheometer (hr-2).
General purpose rheometer for soft material property characterization. HR-2 is capable of both axial and torsional loading.
- Propane-driven shock tube for blast impact research
- Compression-driven shock tubes for blast impact research
- High-speed digital monochrome cameras (Photron FASTCAM SA-Z)
- Optical tables (Newport)
- Digital image correlation software (Correlated Solutions)
- Sterilizer for decontamination and sterilization (Market Forge)
- Biosafety cabinet (Nuaire Class II, Type A2)
- Fume hood (Mott)
The Bentil Group’s facilities are housed in a Biosafety Level 2 (BSL-2) laboratory. A BSL-2 laboratory is suitable for research involving agents that pose moderate hazards to personnel and the environment.