- Assistant Professor
- Mechanical Engineering
Main Office2104 Black Engr
- PhD, Biological Engineering, Purdue University, 2011
- MS, Mechanical Engineering, Purdue University, 2008
- BS, Mechanical Engineering, University of Minnesota, 2006
- BA, Spanish and Portuguese Studies, University of Minnesota, 2006
- Biosensors (Electrochemical & Optical)
- Bio-Integrated Electronics
- BioMEMS and BioNEMS
- Micro/Nanoscale Propulsion
- Carbon Nanomaterial Growth (Graphene and Carbon Nanotubes)
- Nanomanufacturing / Materials Printing
- Quantum Dots / Carbon Dots
- Mass Transport / Fluid Dynamics
Brief BiographyThe Claussen group is focused on understanding/developing science and technology that interfaces with biology on the nano/microscale. The laboratory develops carbon nanomaterials (e.g., graphene, carbon nanotubes, carbon dots) and hybrid nanostructured materials for disease diagnostics/treatment, energy, molecular logic, and small-scale propulsion applications. The use of biological agents (enzymes, antibodies, DNA, cells) and surface chemistry techniques are widely explored within our research. We also seek to understand and model the reaction-diffusion kinetics associated with the nano-bio interface. These research efforts are highly interdisciplinary and require expertise from nearly all engineering and science backgrounds. Please contact Prof. Claussen via email (jcclauss[at]iastate.edu) if you are interested in joining the group. We are currently looking for highly motivated postdocs, graduate students, and undergraduate students to join the group.
- J.C. Claussen, N. Hildebrandt, K. Susumu, M. G. Ancona, I.L. Medintz, “Complex logic functions implemented with quantum-dot bionanophotonic circuits”. ACS Appl. Mater. & Intefaces. 6,6, (2014) COVER ARTICLE
- J.C. Claussen, W. R. Algar, N. Hildebrandt, K. Susumu, M. G. Ancona, I.L. Medintz, “Biophotonic logic devices based on quantum dots and temporally-staggered Förster energy transfer relays”. Nanoscale. 5, 24, (2013). – COVER ARTICLE
- D. Kagen*, M. Benchimol*, J.C. Claussen*, E.Chuluun-Erdene, S. Esener, J. Wang, “Acoustic droplet vaporization of perfluorocarbon-filled microbullets for targeted tissue penetration and deformation”. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 124, 30, (2012). (*Authors contributed equally to this work)
- J.C. Claussen, A. Kumar, D.B. Jaroch, H.K. Khawaja, A.B. Hibbard, D.M. Porterfield, T.S. Fisher “Nanostructuring platinum nanoparticles on graphene petal nanosheets for electrochemical biosensing”, Adv. Funct. Mater. 22, 16, (2012). – COVER ARTICLE
- S. Campuzano, J. Orozco, D. Kagen, M. Guix, W. Gao, S. Sattayasamitsathit, J.C. Claussen, A. Merkoci, J. Wang, “Bacterial isolation by lectin-modified microengines”, Nano Lett., 12, 1, (2012).
- G.Valdes-Ramirez*, J.R. Windmiller*, J.C. Claussen*, A.G. Martinez, F. Kirilay, M. Zhou, R. Narayan, J. Wang, “Multiplexed and switchable release of distinct fluids from microneedle platforms via conducting polymer nanoactuators for potential drug delivery”, Sens. Actuators, B, 161, 1, (2012). (* Authors contributed equally to this work)
- J.C. Claussen*, J.B. Hengenius*, M. M. Wickner, T.S. Fisher, D.M. Porterfield, D.M. Umulis, “Effects of carbon nanotube-tethered nanosphere density on amperometric biosensing: simulation and experiment” J. Phys. Chem. C., 115, 43 (2011). (*Authors contributed equally to this work)
- J.C. Claussen, M.S. Artilles, E.S. McLamore, S. Mohanty, J. Shi, J.L. Rickus, T.S. Fisher, D.M. Porterfield, “Electrochemical glutamate biosensing with nanocube and nanosphere augmented single-walled carbon nanotube networks: a comparative study,” J. Mater. Chem. 21, 30, (2011).
- J.C. Claussen, M.M. Wickner, T.S. Fisher, D. M. Porterfield, “Transforming the fabrication and biofunctionalization of gold nanoelectrode arrays into versatile electrochemical glucose biosensors.” ACS Appl. Mater. & Interfaces, 3, 5, (2011).
- J.C. Claussen, A.D. Franklin, T.S. Fisher, M.D. Porterfield, “Electrochemical biosensor of nanocube-augmented carbon nanotube networks,” ACS Nano, 3,1, (2009). – COVER ARTICLE