Financial Administration

Who to Contact

Financial Administration Support

  • Systems access request and training for e-data (The e-Data warehouse is made up of portals and sub-portals containing current and historical data gathered from a variety of University sources.)
  • Establishment of Supplemental Course Fees (Some courses have expenses above the cost of tuition that enhance the instruction. These fees may cover the cost of field trips, use of equipment, materials or supplies, or professional support.)
  • Petty Cash or Research Participant Payment (All research participants receiving compensation are required to complete an Iowa State University Research Participant Receipt Form)
  • Financial Reports (Balances, Transaction detail, report summaries, labor summary, etc.)
  • Budget Analysis support (Monitor current spending and predict future budget needs)
  • Academic and Summer Salary requests (ensuring that the salaries charged to federal and other resources are allowable, appropriate and reasonable.)
  • Course Buyout requests (A buy-out will result in a portion of the person’s time being shifted to the alternate funding source)
  • Accounting and Budgeting for Facilities, Planning and Management Projects
  • Expense corrections
  • Intramural Purchase Orders
  • Expense Allowability and Appropriateness (the department is ultimately responsible for determining that an expenditure is allowable and appropriate.) This includes approvals for
    • P-card
    • CyBuy
    • Requisition
    • Reimbursement
    • Payroll
  • Financial Management for a variety of university funding sources including:
    • Service Center & Auxiliary Funds (2XX Funds (excluding 206 and 290))
    • General University and Special Appropriations Funds (1XX , 70X, and 721)
    • Discretionary, PI Incentive and Misc. Incentive Sub Funds (290 and 490)
    • Foundation Funds (497)
    • Petty Cash Funds (907)
    • Agency Funds (206)

Funding Support

For Faculty:

Financial support for university-related travel to foreign countries, in some instances, may be obtained through the Foreign Travel Grant Program.

Faculty Travel Program – This program supports meetings with sponsors, program officers, and collaborators for the purpose of establishing and expanding research funding. Applications are accepted any time, preferably 3 weeks in advance of the intended trip. Travel to a professional/scientific conference is not eligible.

For Graduate Students:

Professional Advancement Grants (PAG) are provided to graduate and professional students by the Graduate and Professional Student Senate (GPSS) to help defray expenses related to professional meeting and conference travel.

For Undergraduate Students:

The Senior Vice President and Provost and the Senior Vice President for Student Affairs have established a fund to help undergraduate students pay expenses incurred by attending regional, national, and international conferences.

Additional College support:

1.) Exploratory Research Projects – Applications will be accepted three times a year: July 15, November 15, and April 1 for the project start date to coincide with the next semester boundary.

2.) Pursuit Development Funds – This program is focused on providing the resources needed to write compelling proposals. Opportunities for multi-investigator teams, new research directions, or large proposals are more likely to need the support provided by this program. Application deadline is the first business day of every month.

3.) ACRI: Support for Developing Strategic Research Thrusts – In FY17, there will be no formal deadline for this program. Faculty interested in developing a proposal should contact Dr. Arun Somani.