Graduate Research Symposium
March 29, 2012
2004 Black Engineering
12:00 – 4:00 P.M.
- Enjoy research presentations from ISU graduate students.
- Speak with current graduate students about life and study at Iowa State.
- Tour our beautiful campus and impressive research laboratories.
- Learn about opportunities for graduate research and summer research experiences.
- Enjoy a free meal with faculty and other prospective students.
Research Paper Competition
Students will present state-of-the-art research results at the annual Excellence of Graduate Research Competition.
Research Images as Art Exhibition
Entrants are invited to submit images associated with their research which have aesthetic appeal.
Visualization methods provide an important tool for the analysis and presentation of scientific work. Images can often convey information in a way that tables of data or equations cannot match. Occasionally, scientific images transcend their role as a medium for transmitting information, and contain the aesthetic qualities that transform them into objects of beauty and art.
As a special feature of the 2012 Excellence of Graduate Research Symposium, we are introducing the “Research Images as Art” competition. The competition is open to all Mechanical Engineering Graduate Students, with entries to be on display in the second floor hallway. There will be one Grand Prize winner, multiple first-place awards and a People’s Choice award.
- You or another designated person must be onsite at the meeting to participate to show your artwork.
- Submissions are limited to one image per contestant and should complement the science component of the meeting.
- Images may be obtained by any imaging technique. They can also be the result of modeling and simulation, or can be obtained by combining multiple images into one artistic image. Because the focus is on art, the aesthetic rather than the scientific quality of the image is the key element in the competition. Nevertheless, the images must have some connection to mechanical engineering.
- All images are to be submitted by email as a high resolution jpeg file of at least 300 dpi (10MB maximum size) on or before 11:59 PM, March 15, 2012. The submittal email address is firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the submitter’s last name in the title of the jpg file. The Research Program Coordinators will select a group of finalists from these submissions and will notify all entrants of their status by Friday, March 23.
- Format: All submitted images must include a short description of the technique used, the object that was imaged and any special conditions. In addition, the submitter’s name, research program affiliation, and e-mail address must be given. If selected as a finalist, the image and caption will be printed and displayed in the second-floor hallway.
- Judging – the Research Program Coordinators and meeting attendees will independently determine first and second selections. The Grand Prize “Research Images as Art” work will be awarded a $400 prize, all first place winners will be awarded a $200 prize, and “People’s Choice” will be awarded a $200 prize. Each entry is eligible for only one prize.
Please contact email@example.com with any questions regarding your submission.