- Assistant Professor
- Mechanical Engineering
Main Office2094 Black Engr
Ames, IA 50011
- PhD, Materials Science and Engineering, Virginia Tech, 2011
- MS, Materials Science and Engineering, Virginia Tech, 2009
- BS, Physics and Astronomy, Virginia Tech, 2007
- Smart Materials and Structures
- Functional Thin-Films (Energy Harvesting, Sensors and Actuators)
- Polymer-Metal Nanocomposites (Green Energy)
- Nature-Inspired Soft Microrobotics (Biomedical Devices and Military Applications)
- MEMS and NEMS
- R. Montazami, D. Wang, J.R. Heflin, “Influence of -ionic polymer-metal composite structure on the electromechanical performance of ionic electroactive polymer actuators”, Journal of Smart and Nano Materials, Invited, (to appear).
- R. Montazami, C. Spillmann, J. Naciri, B. Ratna, “Enhanced mechanical properties of a nematic liquid crystal elastomer doped with gold nanoparticles”, Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, (to appear).
- R. Montazami, S. Liu, Y. Liu, D. Wang, Q. Zhang, J.R. Heflin, “Thickness dependence of curvature, strain, and response time in ionic electroactive polymer actuators fabricated via layer-by-layer assembly”, Journal of Applied Physics, 109, 104301 (2011).
- R. Montazami, V. Jain, J.R. Heflin, “High contrast asymmetric solid state electrochromic devices based on layer-by-layer deposition of Polyaniline and Poly(aniline sulfonic acid)”, Electrochemica Acta, 56, 990-994 (2010).
- S. Liu*, R. Montazami*, Y. Liu, V. Jain, M. Lin, X. Zhou, J.R. Heflin, Q.M. Zhang, “Influence of the conductor network composites on the electromechanical performance of ionic polymer conductor network composite actuators”, Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, 157, 267-275 (2010).*Equal Contributors
- Y. Liu, S. Liu, J. Lin, D. Wang, V. Jain, R. Montazami, J. Heflin, J. Li, L. Madsen, Q. Zhang, “Ion transport and storage of ionic liquids in ionic polymer conductor network composites”, Applied Physics Letters, 96, 223503:1-3 (2010).
- N. Hashemi, R. Montazami, “Basins of attraction of tapping mode atomic force microscopy with capillary force interactions”, Applied Physics Letters, 94, 251902:1-3 (2009).
- S. Liu*, R. Montazami*, Y. Liu, V. Jain, M. Lin, J. Heflin, Q. Zhang, “Layer-by-layer self-assembled conductor network composites in ionic polymer metal composite actuators with high strain response”, Applied Physics Letters, 95, 023505:1-3 (2009). *Equal Contributors
- V. Jain, R. Sahoo, S.P. Mishra, J. Sinha, R. Montazami, H.M. Yochum, J.R. Heflin, A. Kumar, “Synthesis and characterization of regioregular water-soluble 3,4-Propylenedioxythiophene derivative and its application in the fabrication of high-contrast solid-state electrochromic devices”, Macromolecules, 42, 135-140 (2009).
- V. Jain, M. Khiterer, R. Montazami, H. Yochum, K. Shea, J. Heflin, “High-contrast solid-state electrochromic devices of Viologen-Bridged Polysilsesquioxane nanoparticles fabricated by layer-by-layer assembly”, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 1, 83-89 (2009).
- B. Alfeeli, S. Ali, V. Jain, R. Montazami, J. Heflin, M. Agah, “MEMS-based gas chromatography columns with nano-structured stationary phases”, 2008 IEEE Sensors, 728-731, (2008).
- V. Jain, H.M. Yochum, R. Montazami, J.R. Heflin, L.B. Hu, G. Gruner, “Modification of single-walled carbon nanotube electrodes by layer-by-layer assembly for electrochromic devices”, Journal of Applied Physics, 103, 074504:1-5 (2008).
- V. Jain, H. Yochum, R. Montazami, J. Heflin, “Millisecond switching in solid state electrochromic polymer devices fabricated from ionic self-assembled multilayers”, Applied Physics Letters, 92, 033304:1-3 (2008).
- V. Jain, R. Sahoo, J.R. Jinschek, R. Montazami, H.M. Yochum, F.L. Beyer, A. Kumar, J.R. Heflin, “High contrast solid state electrochromic devices based on Ruthenium Purple nanocomposites fabricated by layer-by-layer assembly”, Chemical Communications, 3663-3665 (2008).
- V. Jain, H. Yochum, H. Wang, R. Montazami, M.A.V. Hurtado, A. Mendoza-Galvan, H.W. Gibson, J.R. Heflin, “Solid-state electrochromic devices via ionic self-assembled multilayers (ISAM) of a polyviologen”, Macromolecular Chemistry and Physics, 209, 150-157 (2008).